Winner, Winner, One Pan Dinner
It has been fairly hectic in the Mills’ household lately, and recently we had one of those days. You know, one of those days that isn’t just a pinch of crazy, but a GENEROUS pinch [heaping tablespoon] of crazy. So what do you do for dinner on those generous pinch of crazy days? You could pick up fast food on the way home, halfway enjoying your questionable beef, and consequently regretting decisions dating back to 1997. (Just me?) Or you could make a one pan dinner!
All you need to prepare this spicy, satisfying, simple meal is: a cutting board, a knife, and either a big baking sheet or a 9×13 dish! You could even buy crisp, pre-chopped fajita veggies and cut out the chopping! I’m using a lot of adjectives and exclamation points because easy dinners (and easy clean ups) make me excited!!!
Actually, this “recipe” is so easy that I almost felt it wasn’t worth it to post, but I want to be authentic by showing that it doesn’t have to be extraordinarily expensive, difficult, or time consuming to feed your family healthy food. I wish I could be as fancy as some of the chefs I watch on TV (Top Chef is my guilty pleasure!), but in reality, I’m just a mom trying to get dinner on the table in under an hour, and trying to conceal my toddler’s vegetables in a thick blanket of guacamole.
Now, the seasoning on these fajitas is fairly bold, so if you know your family doesn’t do spicy, scale it back a bit. It’s adaptable to different seasonings, or even different veggies, because you kind of just dump everything together and toss it in the oven. It truly is perfect for those days, and you will feel good about feeding your family a healthy, home cooked meal. The leftovers are excellent with salad greens and my Dairy free Garlic Herb Ranch.
If you have a busy day coming up, I hope you plan on making this dinner! Your budget and belly will thank you!
One Pan Chicken and Shrimp Fajitas
Serves four or five, but great as leftovers for fajita salad.
- Three large chicken breasts, cut into slices
- 1/2 pound shrimp
- Three bell peppers, cut into strips
- One onion, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, plus a little more for shrimp
- 1 tsp pepper, plus a little more for shrimp
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne
- Lettuce wraps or tortillas for serving
- Optional toppings
- squeeze of fresh lime
- Preheat oven to 375 while preparing meat and vegetables
- Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper, set aside
- Spray either a 9×13 pan or large baking sheet with cooking spray
- Put all chopped vegetables and chicken on prepared pan
- Drizzle evenly with olive oil
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over it all
- Mix until oil and seasoning is evenly coating everything
- Cook for 35 minutes
- Place shrimp on top and cook for another 5-7 minutes until shrimp is pink
- Serve with lettuce wraps or tortillas and top generously with guacamole and Spicy Garlic Salsa
I hope these simple and quick fajitas free up your evening; less time cooking and cleaning means more time with family. Enjoy them…and enjoy your [generous] pinch of crazy!