This post contains an affiliate link; if you purchase using the link, it is of no extra cost to you.
No Oven, No Problem
This dessert is great all around: gluten free, vegan, and no added sugar, but in this sweltering August heat, “no oven” are two of my favorite words. We live in base housing here in sunny SoCal where we apparently have an “ocean breeze” (are my fellow marine wives enjoying your breeze?!) so we do not have central air conditioning, but with windows open and lots of fans, it truly is manageable. That is until it comes time to cook dinner and I turn on our gas stove…then I feel like Ma Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie, and our food is seasoned with my sweat and tears. And if any of us have a hankering for dessert, forget it. You’re either getting nice cream, or you’re getting nothing.
Of course, you all know by now that I’m a chocoholic with a major sweet tooth (or teeth), so there’s no way I can go an entire summer with only one type of dessert. If I don’t feel like sweating unnecessarily, then I can just whip up one of these! So if you’re like me and wanting a treat without the oven heat, try my No Bake Chocolate Date Cake! (Or if you don’t mind turning on the oven, try my Wholesome Chocolate Chunk Cookies, too!)
No Bake Chocolate Date Cake
Serves six to eight. Or you can hog it all to yourself.
- 8 pitted Medjool dates
- 3 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup nut butter of choice (almond or cashew lets the chocolate flavor shine, peanut makes it more chocolate/peanut butter…which is not bad!)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup almonds (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional if you’re wanting extra sweet)
- Optional toppings:
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped fresh fruit
- Combine all ingredients, except toppings, in blender or food processor
- Blend until all ingredients are combined; it should be a sticky consistency (with bits of almond if you used them), and all sort of in a ball
- Press into pan of choice (I used a rectangular 3 cup Pyrex dish), or shape into balls or bars for individual servings
- Top with desired toppings, pressing them down slightly into the mixture
- Refrigerate a few hours until firm
Don’t be like Ma Ingalls, beat the heat with this no bake treat…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!