This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase using the links, it is of no extra cost to you!
Happy Fall, Y’all!
Hooray! Today is officially the first day of Fall! We are still wearing shorts and sandals here in sunny Southern California, but hey, it’s officially Autumn so I will sweat under my blanket while eating some warm soup no matter what the thermometer says.
I have never really been a huge soup lover, but I will slurp up bowls upon bowls of creamy tomato soup. Yum! I’ve made delicious tomato soups in the past, but usually they were loaded down with cream, which I now know to stay away from. For me personally, dairy really upsets my stomach, and if I want to have a bowl of soup and be all cozy, I’m pretty sure gas, bloating, and *digestive distress* (TMI?!) will ruin that for me.
On top of the discomfort dairy brings, usually homemade soup is quite the ordeal. Letting it simmer all day on the stove while constantly checking liquid levels is not my idea of fun in the kitchen. So here we have my VEGAN *dairy free* Creamy Tomato Basil Soup that takes literally 45 minutes start to finish! All you do is roast your veggies, then blend them up with some coconut milk. That’s it! Then go crazy with your toppings and you have a full meal that will leave you warm and cozy with a happy, healthy belly.
With cooler temperatures and the holiday season right around the corner, you will likely be making lots of warm soups and comforting sauces and need a reliable blender. My husband got me this KitchenAid blender for Christmas three years ago, and it has been amazing for everything from nice cream to baby food to sauces and soups. If you are in the market for a new blender, save this one to your Amazon wish list and give your hubby a helpful hint 😉
It may be only marginally cooler, but it’s late September so my tomato soup will be in the regular meal rotation until Spring. I truly hope you can ring in the Autumn season with this creamy, comforting soup, and maybe make it a regular for your family, too!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Serves six. Serve with some crusty bread for dunking!
- Four large tomatoes, quartered
- Small yellow onion, quartered
- 3/4 cup sliced baby carrots, or 2 large carrots chopped
- One bulb garlic, roasted
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5-2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3/4-1 cup coconut milk
- Optional toppings:
- Chopped basil
- Chopped scallions
- Lightly sauteed greens like kale or arugula
- Non-vegan options
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Get the garlic roasting first:
- slice off the top of the bulb
- drizzle with olive oil
- wrap in foil
- place directly on oven rack
- While garlic is roasting, chop your other veggies
- Prepare baking pan by spraying with cooking spray
- Arrange tomatoes, onion, and carrots in a single layer on baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place baking sheet in oven along with garlic
- Roast for about 30-35 minutes
- Carefully transfer all vegetables to the blender; the garlic should be able to be squeezed out like a paste
- Add basil, vinegar, more salt and pepper, and coconut milk to the blender
- Blend until desired consistency, adding more coconut milk if necessary
- Serve warm with plenty of toppings
Wrap up in a scarf and eat some soup even if it’s in the 80s…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!