Delicious AND Nutritious
It’s not often that the words “fries” and “nutritious” are used in the same sentence, but in this case, they are! These fries are baked, not fried (should I call them French Bakes?), and only have one tablespoon of olive oil used, so they aren’t dripping unhealthy grease everywhere. I have said before (here and here) that potatoes aren’t the villains they’re made out to be. No, in fact, they are the hero’s (the hero being vegetables, of course) side kick, a little quiet and plain, but with the right amount of healthy attention, flourishes and compliments the hero quite nicely!
Okay, weird super hero analogies aside, potatoes actually are good for you! They contain plenty of fiber and protein, and sweet potatoes have lots of vitamins A and C in them, which you can read about here. And, I mean, who wouldn’t want to eat a hot, salty, crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside french fry?! Dunk it in some homemade or store bought ranch or ketchup and you’ve got the perfect side dish or snack. Let me just wipe the drool off my keyboard and get to the recipe now…
Oven Baked Fries
Serves about 5, but could easily be doubled.
- Two large potatoes, russet or sweet, or a combo, cut into fry shaped strips (quick tutorial on my Instagram)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- 1 tsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of paprika
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Prepare a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place sliced potatoes on prepared baking sheet
- Drizzle with oil of choice
- Evenly sprinkle seasonings
- Using your hands, mix potato slices so they are all evenly coated with oil and seasonings
- Arrange the potatoes in an even layer, so that each slice is on the tray
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes
- Remove from oven and flip each fry
- Return to oven and bake for another 15-25 minutes, depending on your desired crispy-ness
- Eat hot with sauces
- Leftovers will keep covered in fridge for 5-7 days, I suggest reheating in the oven or in a hot skillet
For other potato sides, be sure to check out my Creamy Whole30 Mashed Potatoes, Mustard Potato Salad, or Roasted Potatoes, and for main dish potato recipes, I have Taco Stuffed Potatoes with Avocado Chipotle Ranch or Slow Cooker Potato and Kale Soup; all of which I’m sure you will love! After all, who doesn’t love a super hero sidekick?!
I hope your family, kiddos included, love these fries as much as mine does, and that they can become a weeknight staple for you. Fries that don’t leave you feeling greasy and regretful – woo! Go on, dunk away…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!
This post contains affiliate links; if you purchase using the links, it is of no extra cost to you, just a small commission for me. Thank you for supporting A Pinch of Crazy!
5 thoughts on “Oven Baked Fries”