You groggily open your eyes one Saturday morning. Spring is here; this fact is made evident by the warm sun streaming through the blinds and the cheerful songs of the birds outside your window. You hear your children and spouse giggling down the hall, you smell the freshly brewed coffee, with a light and happy heart you head to the kitchen and…pour the same tired, old, strangely-reminiscent-of-cardboard cereal for breakfast?! No! Such a perfect spring Saturday morning calls for pancakes! And, believe me, these hearty and healthy pancakes will have everyone around the table full, happy, and ready to enjoy their spring break adventures without a sugar crash.
Flax and Oat Pancakes
Makes about 12 pancakes, depending on size.
- 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour (could be made gluten free by substituting GF flour)
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp of whole flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4-1 cup of water
- Optional toppings:
- Heat your skillet over medium-low heat, and grease with desired cooking oil
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour through salt)
- Add egg, oil, and almond milk, stirring until combined
- Add water about 1/4 cup at a time, until it makes a fairly thin batter
- Spoon batter (your desired pancake size) into hot pan
- Once bubbles form and pop, flip and cook on the other side
- Repeat with remaining batter
- Serve warm with desired toppings
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge – they reheat fine in the microwave, good to grab and go!
I hope you and your family can enjoy a slow Saturday morning breakfast together; I’d guess that these pancakes could rouse even the most sullen teen out of bed 😉 For more breakfast ideas, check out my Whole30 Breakfast Hash, Turkey Sausage Breakfast Bake, Fruit and Nut Granola, Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal, or Peanut Butter and Chocolate Overnight Oats. I hope this season, in all of its newness, starts off wonderfully for you. Have some quality time at breakfast…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!