Ding! The toaster sends two pieces of toast bouncing up, ready to be slathered with butter and jelly – a welcome sound to your grumbling tummy. Mornings are usually fairly frantic for people (myself included); trying to get yourself plus a child or two (or three or four) ready to get out the door on time for school/work/morning activities, and breakfast is usually a sad afterthought. It may be quick and easy to grab a yogurt or some toast, but your hunger will return with a vengeance for a nice mid-morning slump, and leave you scourging the office for snacks. I have a great solution for both the harried mornings and the pre-lunch slump: Breakfast Bites!
With just a little before hand prep, you can have a quick, healthy breakfast on hand to grab and go out the door. This is such a versatile recipe – you can use your favorite breakfast meat(s) and vegetables, cheese or no cheese – whatever you have on hand. They reheat great, and are delicious served with Spicy Garlic Salsa or hot sauce. I sent two (with salsa) plus some fruit for my husband’s breakfast, and Zemirah and I each ate one with a small glass of Berries and Greens Smoothie, and we were full until lunch! Do yourself (and your office’s snack supply) a favor, and make a batch or two of these Breakfast Bites!
- 1 cup of chopped breakfast meat (I used sausage)
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1.5 cups of desired vegetables (I used spinach and onions)
- 9 eggs, beaten well
- 1/3 cup of cheese, chopped or shredded
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, cook your breakfast meat over medium heat.
- Remove cooked meat and set aside.
- In the same pan, add olive oil and vegetables.
- Lightly sautee vegetables – for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Grease a 12 count muffin tin with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, beat your eggs until whites and yolks are combined.
- Add salt, pepper, cooked meat and veggies, and cheese to scrambled eggs.
- Pour egg mixture into muffin tins, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until risen with the edges slightly browned.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a week.
For more breakfast prep ideas, check out my Turkey Sausage Breakfast Bake, Fruit and Nut Granola, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Overnight Oats, and Chocolate Covered Strawberry Chia Pudding. Get your mornings off to a good start, ditch that mid-morning slump…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase using these links, it is of no extra cost to you, just a small commission for me. Thank you for supporting A Pinch of Crazy!