This post contains an affiliate link for Primal Kitchen’s Mayo. If you purchase using the link, it does not cost you anything extra, I will just receive a small commission.
The Best Things in Life are Green
I think we can all agree that avocados are delicious and amazing. My husband used to not like avocados or guacamole! I know what you’re thinking…how could things work out between us?! I was convinced I had to change his mind. I did 😉 Now, he eats plain avocados as a side, or on a salad, and gets so excited when I make guacamole. He has especially taken a liking to my Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados. The funny thing is, he also used to not like chicken salad. Hmm…now I just have to convince him to like mushrooms.
If you read my Roasted Chicken with Carrots recipe then you will know I roast a whole chicken often. Since we are a small family of three, we always have plentiful leftovers from a whole chicken. One of my favorite dishes to make with the leftover meat is chicken salad; it’s so simple, and if you already have chicken on hand you don’t have to turn on the oven! If you use a great Whole30 approved mayonnaise like my Lemon Garlic Aioli or this one from Primal Kitchen (which is delicious and currently on sale!), it is full of healthy fats. Healthy fats are necessary for brain development in babies and children, and can actually aide in weight loss and reduce risk of heart disease in adults. So, basically, chicken salad combined with avocados…fatty, super delicious, heart disease reducing, brain healthy meal!
Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados
- 3 cups of shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup of yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dill weed
- Avocados (1/2 an avocado for each person eating)
- Optional balsamic glaze:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Let chill for at least one hour
- If making balsamic glaze, combine ingredients on stove and let simmer until it is reduced by half
- Cut avocados in half and remove seed
- Using a spoon, scoop out a little bit of avocado where the seed was to create a little “bowl”
- Scoop the avocado half out of the skin using a spoon
- Serve chicken salad inside the avocado “bowl”
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired *highly recommend*
- Store leftovers covered in fridge for a week
If you have someone in your life who is either a chicken salad or an avocado hater, first of all, you don’t need that negativity in your life, but second of all, make them this and see if it can change their mind! Eat your healthy fats…and enjoy your pinch of crazy!